Pet Camp, San Francisco’s most award-winning pet care lodging and day care facility, is looking for experienced dog handlers to join our Canine Enrichment Counselor team.
Under direct supervision of our Canine Enrichment Coordinator, the enrichment team provides a variety of specially-tailored activities to our canine campers who don’t fit the traditional model of group dog play. This one-of-a-kind department ensures that our special-needs campers stay active and engaged, both mentally and physically, during their overnight lodging or day care visits.
The activities provided by the Enrichment team are designed for high- activity dogs, puppies who need special socialization and introductions to new experiences, senior dogs who require activities designed for mobility and movement, shy or nervous dogs who need targeted one-on-one attention, and every dog in between! Positions are available for either full or part-time, and start at $18 per hour, depending on experience (candidates with previous dog training experience may be eligible for a higher starting salary).
Here’s what we’re looking for in candidates:
- We believe in using only positive reinforcement with every camper interaction at Pet Camp, so while professional dog training experience is not a requirement, having a baseline knowledge of the principles of Operant Conditioning is.
- You must be able to handle dogs of all sizes, ages and temperaments. If you are uneasy around big dogs, specific breeds, or reactive dogs, this is not the job for you.
- All candidates are required to be available to work weekends and holidays. We provide our signature care to our clients 365 days a year, so every counselor needs to be able and willing to work when needed.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the pet care industry; this could include doggie day care, boarding facilities, vet hospitals, and other applicable fields.
- Flexible availability to work early mornings, afternoons, or early evenings is very desirable.
- Having your own dog is also very desirable (though not a requirement; we know how difficult housing is in S.F with pets)
Our benefits package is one of the best in the industry! Here’s what eligible counselors receive:
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance beginning at 60 days of employment
- Access to a Pet Camp Scholarship fund after 1 year of employment to pay for continuing education of your choice in ANY applicable field of pet care. If your career goals include becoming a CPDT-KA, this could be the first step towards reaching that goal.
- A clothing allowance on our Land’s End company store beginning at 90 days of employment
- pet health care coverage through Eusoh after 90 days
- A 401-K Safe Harbor retirement plan beginning at 1 year of employment
- 2 weeks of free boarding for your pet every year
- You may bring your own dog to work with you every day you are on a shift
If you’re interested in joining the team, please complete our